Sunday, November 4, 2012

Surprising Halloween adventure


Parents want candy too!

My bags of candy were ready and my lights blaring down the street hoping that trick or treaters would find my house.

I enjoy staying at the house and passing out candy more than walking around the neighborhood with the kids.  Nov, don’t get me wrong I do love to watch the neighborhood kids interact and talk with parents I don’t see much.  The best seat for action is passing out candy and scaring the kids.

This year was extra fun and began with a belly laugh so loud I almost fell out of my chair.  I glanced over my Facebook newsfeed to find my friend (and previous client) Toni Rogers writing the most hilarious post.

My smile began to grow and didn’t stop till I went to sleep.

Many young kids knocked on my door and jumped back when I opened the door to appear holding a giant bowl of shiny packages.  Otherwise known as candy!

“Trick or Treat”, “Happy Halloween” were just a couple greetings from girls, boys, and some fun parents along the way.

The groups I wanted to join had 2-3 families walking together.  The moms had their attention on the kids and their candy, but the dads were sharing laughter and large cups filled with adult beverages.  I only know they were adult beverages, because I caught a whiff as the breeze blew by the doorway.

I was surprised that the oldest kids who came by were about 12 or 13 years, but they were dressed to the hilt and were all scary creatures.  Blood and guts were all over them.

What surprised me the most, during an evening filled with surprising creatures and people, was parents or adults trick or treating for candy.  Now, I am not talking about those who chaperone their kids or wear a costume to have some fun with their kids.  I actually had 2 different dads knock on my door, say “Trick or Treat”, and hold out their infant’s pumpkin for candy. I peered behind them and saw no other kids or adults in sight.

  • My mind began flipping through all the reasons he may be trick or treating with a kid who can’t even eat the candy.
  • The older sibling flaked out and went home with mom?
  • My house was too scary and the other sibling(s) ran to the next house?
  • Dad just wanted to “go through” the motions once to help next year go smoothly?
  • Dad just wanted candy?


I could not help to think, “Dad just wanted candy.”
I gave him a big handful and said, “Have fun!”  “Thank you” said dad as he turned around and ran to the next house.

This year I did notice all the kids and adults had great manners.  They all said “Thank you” and waited patiently as I plopped big handfuls of candy into their perspective containers.  GREAT JOB PARENTS!

When the last trick or treater rang the bell I was sad, but my smile didn’t end.  It was a fun and surprising night at the Watts/Baccus house.

What was your most memorable Halloween experience?  Please post below in the comments section.


If you enjoyed the blog above, you can subscribe via RSS feed or e-mail by clicking the button on the right side panel.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Blog Post Openers - Michelle Shaffer